Monday, September 7, 2009

Getting ready for November!

Wow, I have neglected this blog as badly as I neglect my laundry!My apologies for those who may actually be checking on me.

I've been in a writing slump- feeling out of ideas and a little tired of my story. But, NaNoWriMo os coming, so I need to get thinking!

I'm trying to get inspiration going for my fantasy story- another re-hash of an older story I'd written before and never got right.

I wrote a bit this morning- just trying to get my mojo again. I will be more distracted this time, though as I'm taking an art class, and I started a blog about fashion, which keeps me sort of busy.

Here's what I wrote this morning:

In the cool morning, Ghere awoke to a whooshing sound that he assumed was a dream. He lifted his head from the pillow, and pulled his blanket around him to shield himself from the cold. He tiptoed through the hall to the opening where he could view the great up sloping of the mountains. His eyes, still unfocused from heavy sleep couldn’t focus on the dark form as it swooped between the early light of the sky to the unlit granite expanse that stretched behind the castle. But it was there, as sure as his heart was beating- and it was no hawk. It was as big as any horse, as any house, he thought. He’d seen it before, but wrote it off as dreaming. He ran to an outcropping of rocks that rose above the castle walls, trying to see the bird more closely. It’d gone above the edge of the valley, high above the cliff into the high country he was forbidden to go to. He slumped a bit as his eyes searched the skies.
He could smell the smoke of morning fires and smell food beginning to cook. His own stomach growled as he stood frozen on the black and white speckled granite, waiting for one more glimpse of it.
Like most things in life, it didn’t appear until he’d nearly given up. He started to make his way down the rocks, his feet landing in places they knew from years of scrambling over this very place, when from behind him, a wind arose and made him duck down to protect himself. He looked up fast, though, and was rewarded with the closet look he’d ever gotten of it.
Feathers like gold, and wingspan as wide as the great court, and talons black like fine leather. On his back, he noticed something else- a girl. Her hands wound into the golden feathers like reigns, mahogany hair like a pennant in the wind behind her, clothed in soft colors that flowed in the wind as she swept up into the air in front of Ghere.
He watched it disappear over the great forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment